Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

The Name "Christian"


Henry Ward Beecher: "Let me speak in the language of heaven and call you Christians."
Albert Barnes: "These divisions should be merged into the holy name Christian."
Martin Luther: "I pray you leave my name alone. Do not call yourselves Lutherans, but Christian."
John Wesley: "I wish the name Methodist might never be mentioned again, but lost in eternal oblivion."
Charles Spurgeon: "I say of the Baptist name, let it perish, but let Christ' name last forever. I look forward with pleasure to the day when there will not be a Baptist living."
Peter, the Apostle: "Yet, if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this name" (1 Pet. 4:16).
Paul, the Apostle: "Now, this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were you baptized in the name of Paul?" (1 cor. 1:12-13).
Luke, the writer of Acts: "...And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch" (Acts 11:26).

Source:
Pulpit Helps (date unknown)


No comments:

Post a Comment