Edward Gibbon lists the following reasons for the decline and fall of the Roman Empire :
1. The rapid increase of divorce, the undermining of the dignity and the
sanctity of the home, which is the basis of human society;
2. Higher and higher taxes, and the spending of public money for free bread and
circuses for the populace.
3. The mad craze for pleasure, sports, becoming every year more exciting,
brutal and dishonest.
4. The building of gigantic armaments when the real enemy was with the
decadence of the people.
5. The decay of religion—faith fading into more form—losing touch with life and
becoming important to guide the people.
- via THE SOWER, a weekly publication of the Arthur Church of Christ,
Arthur, IL. Ron Bartanen, who serves as minister and editor, may be contacted
through the congregation's website: http://www.arthurchurchofchrist.com